DNA is an abbreviation of Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid, a for live very important molecule. A DNA molecule consists of two long strands that twist around eachother like a spiral staircase. That is why the molecule is called a double helix. Each strand consists of the backbone of ribose (a sugar) together with phosphate groups and nitrogen bases.
There are 4 different nitrogen bases: Adenine (A), Thymine (T), Cytosine (C) and Guanine (G). These bases are often called after their first letter. The A in a strand can form bonds with the T in the opposite strand and the G can form bonds with the C. They form basepairs. This is why the strands are always each others mirror image, each others complement. They are called complementary strands:
ATGCGTGCAATGTTTACGCGTAAAGCGTGCACGTTAGAGTACGTGCAGT
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
TACGCACGTTACAAATGCTCATTTCGCACGTGCAAGCTCATGCACGTCA
The order in which the bases are present in the DNA forms a code which determines genetic information. Like notes on a piece of music form a melody, the letters A, C, G and T for the foundation of genetic properties. So despite there are only 4 code letters, the possible lettercombinations of a piece of DNA of just hundred of these basepairs is very large. And when considering the fact that the human DNA consists of 6 million basepairs, DNA is very unique for a person.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
TACGCACGTTACAAATGCTCATTTCGCACGTGCAAGCTCATGCACGTCA
The order in which the bases are present in the DNA forms a code which determines genetic information. Like notes on a piece of music form a melody, the letters A, C, G and T for the foundation of genetic properties. So despite there are only 4 code letters, the possible lettercombinations of a piece of DNA of just hundred of these basepairs is very large. And when considering the fact that the human DNA consists of 6 million basepairs, DNA is very unique for a person.
2 comments:
Somebody essentially assist to make critically posts I might state.
This is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now?
I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual submit amazing.
Great activity!
Have a look at my homepage; sky cccam server
Hey! I know this is kind of off-topic but I needed to
ask. Does building a well-established website like yours take a massive amount work?
I am completely new to blogging but I do write in my journal everyday.
I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!
Here is my page :: cccam sky server
Post a Comment